Saturday, July 15, 2006

I'm Feeling "Wicked"

I just returned from New York City where I did some shopping and caught a show. I'll blog more about the day at another time, but I wanted to write about the show while it was all still fresh in my mind.

I have been wanting to see "Wicked" for almost two years now since I first heard the soundtrack. I bought my tickets back in January and thought that July would never get here so I was very excited for the day to finally arrive.

Visually, the show is stunning and a feast of colors and design. The sets are intricate and the costumes are unique and, in some cases, beautiful. The lighting and colors were so perfect and overall it was very exciting to look at. The story was fun and pretty much what I remembered from the abriged version of the book I read online awhile ago. I won't give anything away but I thought the behind-the-scenes stuff with Dorothy was pretty funny.

There were quite a few good lessons to be learned from the show if you're the type to care about those things. I tend to see lessons of value in art and enjoy seeing deeper meanings so I always look for more than the surface. I saw themes of beauty (it's value/importance or lack of value in life) purpose, what is really important, living for something beyond yourself and where power comes from. There was a lot more that leaped out at me but I don't want to spoil it for future Flourish articles!

The music was amazing and the main characters had powerful voices. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the music. Words fail me.

I think there are so many things I could say about this play, but I just have no words. It was everything I hoped it would be and I can't wait to see it again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter