Wednesday, April 26, 2006

30 Days of Quiet Time - April 26, 2006

Matthew 26:36-75

Let's talk about Peter, shall we? In an earlier passage this month we read that Jesus warned Peter he would betray Him. And Peter's response was? "No way. I'll NEVER do that." Hmm.... In my experience the minute I say never with such certainty I usually find myself doing exactly that in direct proportion to the fervor I denied it. The more vigorously I deny it, the sooner I tend to get down to doing it.

In fact, whenever I hear myself tell God something so definite, I almost always here a voice in my head saying, "Way to go, Peter!" I'm pretty sure I just messed up there somehow.

I always wonder then, should I not promise God anything? Is that just asking to be tempted to fail? I'm not sure of the answer to that. I do know I'd rather err on the side of trying to succeed though, then never giving myself a chance to fail. I don't think the Christian life is so much about success as it is about effort. You see, if it really is all about Him, all I have to do is my part. And sometimes that's promising to do better and trying with all my might to make it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter