Monday, April 17, 2006

30 Days of Quiet Time - April 17, 2006

Matthew 13:24-52

In this passage, I noticed that some parables were for the crowds and others for the disciples. And the application was given to the Disciples only. This reminds me of the "don't cast your pearls before swine" proverb that Millie used to shame the men in the musical "7 Brides for 7 Brothers." His message was for those who had the desire to hear, and it appeared He didn't waste much of His valuable, short time on earth catering to those who would never understand.

This is often the quandry in leadership. I think we spend way too much of our time on the people in the fringes. How often I hear, what can "WE DO" to draw them in. While the effort needs to be made, the decision is theirs. I get tired to always having to go to extreme lengths to draw people in who have no interest in coming. We think up these strategies to get more people involved when the people we are aiming the message at haven't got up off the pew to do anything but listen in 15 years.

The problem comes when our energy and resources are going after people who have said "no" for years and those who are getting out there and living for God are getting the time we have left. That's wrong and was not the model that Jesus gave us. Those people who have said "no" to God time after time after time will answer for that one day, and my energies need to be devoted to those who say "yes." While I don't plan to ignore the "no's" I do feel a responsiblity to make sure that the bulk of my times goes to equip and motivate and challenge those who choose to say "yes." This is probably not going to make people happy, but I can deal with it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter