Saturday, April 15, 2006

30 Days of Quiet Time - April 15, 2006

Mark 9:14-32

There are two things that jumped out at me as I read this passage. The first one was the disciples reaction to all they had seen and Jesus' words to them after he healed the boy of the evil spirits. The Bible tells us that they didn't understand what Jesus was talking about, but they were afraid to ask him. They must have been card-carrying members of the Jessica-Robinson-School-of-Avoidance. If it sounds bad, let's not clarify, okay? I seem to do that more as I get older.

Secondly, I noticed the boys father in what is probably one of the better known verses in the Bible, "Lord I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief."

I love that answer. I think it is such an encouragement to us to see God work in this young child's life after that comment by his father. So many times we hear the comment, "well, I guess I just didn't have enough faith" to describe why something didn't work out the way we wanted. But what exactly are we saying? That puts the power of the situation upon us and it's never about what WE can do.

As I read that man's cry I am reminded that I can never understand enough about God to truly have faith in all things. I'm more likely to belive that God can than that God will. My faith only goes so far at times and yet I want to belive. This man's faith was strong, but even he knew there were areas for more faith. I often thing of it as saying, "I want to belive. Help me get there in this situation." And how God must love us for the honesty to say that and hold nothing back from Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter