Saturday, April 01, 2006

30 Days of Quiet Time - April 1, 2006

During the month of April, Flourish is emphasizing personal quiet time with God. We are asking women to spend 30 consistent days having a quiet time. We had a fun kick-off class today and we handed out a 30-day reading plan that follows the life of Christ. Throughout the next 30 days I will be posting my thoughts as we begin to read. I hope that if you are following along, you will add your thoughts to the comments section. Just click on the word below each post that says "COMMENTS" and it will take you to a form that will let you add your thoughts. You can create a login and have a user name or you can just use the anonymous user name and post that way. If you do use the anonymous posting make sure you type your name in the comments section so we know who you are.

Today's passage dealt with the prophesy that Jesus would come to earth.

Isaiah 7:14, 9:1-9; Luke 1:26-38

In the Isaiah passage I noticed that it tells us exactly what Jesus will bring with Him when He comes - light, increased joy, a feeling of wealth, freedom from oppression and everything will be bigger and more meaningful. There will also "be no more gloom for those in distress." (Isaiah 9:1) If we look at the familiar passage in Isaiah 9 we find out that Jesus will counsel us, rule us, love us and bring peace to us.

"Be it unto me according to your word..." What a surrendered heart it takes to pray that prayer. If I'm honest, I worry about praying that one some times. I like to keep a bit of control of my own destiny and surrender is a hard one for me at times. And yes, I know the control isn't really mine, I just like to keep the illusion that it is! This attitude of wanting for my life exactly what God wants is one that I desire to have, but will probably struggle against off and on my whole life.

When I think about this prayer of Mary's, I think it is in some ways remarkable that one so young could be that surrendered. She has her whole life ahead of her and she is willing to set it all aside so that God can have His way before she's really had a chance to make her own decisions. Yet on the other hand, in her culture she probably didn't have much of a chance to make her own decisions. I'm sure her father and then her husband made most of them. Surrender was probably a way of life for her. Maybe it's harder in our society today since we all seem to assume we are masters of our own destiny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter