Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Captivated Upated

What I’m Listening to: Captivated by Aaron Benward
What I’m Reading: The Guardian by Dee Henderson and A Busy Women’s Guide to Prayer by Cheri Fuller

I blogged quite some time ago about the book Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge. I am just beginning to pick the book back up and work through it with the journal. It is quite an illuminating look at the heart of a woman and a big I can highly (so far) recommend. I did chapter two a few weeks ago, and am currently working my way through chapter three.

If you are interested in this book, may I make a few suggestions? First of all, don’t attempt it without the companion guided journal. I feel this book is similar to The Sacred Romance in that reading alone won’t give you the full comprehension of this book. You need to think it through and meditate on what’s it really saying. The journal helps with that a great deal. My second suggestion is to work slowly. I personally feel it is too much work and information to absorb quickly. In fact, I think one chapter in the book with the corresponding journal chapter done every three or four weeks is ideal.

For those participating in the Flourish women’s ministry, you will get a chance to partake in a study with this book in 2007. I am planning on using it in a once-a-month format for those interested in it. It will mesh nicely with my goals for 2007. Yes, I know, it’s just barely 2006 but I think planning ahead is what makes this succeed. So, I’m already hard at work at 2007. ☺

I wanted to continue on with my favorite quotes from Captivating. I am going to do Chapter Two today, and continue on with Chapter three later today.

“The desire of a woman’s heart and the realities of a woman’s life seem an ocean apart. Oh, we long for romance and an irreplaceable role in a great story; we long for beauty. But that’s not the life we have.” p. 21

“Eve is created because things were not right without her.” p. 26

“Most women define themselves in terms of their relationships, and the quality they deem those relationships to have.” p. 27

“From cover to cover, from beginning to end, the cry of God’s heart is, ‘Why won’t you choose me?’ It is amazing to me how humble, how vulnerable God is on this point.” p. 29 (quoted from Wild at Heart by John Eldredge)

“That longing in the heart of a woman to share life together as a great adventure – that comes straight from the heart of God, who also longs for this. He does not want to be an option in our lives.” p. 33

“There is radiance hidden in your heart that the world desperately needs.” p. 42

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter