Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Let's Talk Music, Shall We

I am going to keep track of the music I buy this year by blogging about it and giving it a grade. My grading scale for CD’s is as follows:

5 - Absolutely Amazing . Drop everything and buy this one now.
4 - Excellent. Add this one to your “to buy” list.
3 - A good CD. Buy this one if you have a few spare dollars.
2 - An OK CD, but doesn’t stand out in any way. Borrow this one from the library.
1 - A waste of time, don’t bother with this one.

I have been listening to some new tunes the past few days. BMG was having a sale so I ordered a few new CD’s from them. Then I bought two at Wal-mart with a bit of my overtime pay from last week. So my new CD’s are…

Restored, Jeremy Camp
I’ve listened to this the most of any of my new ones and have really enjoyed it. I don’t think it tops his debut album, but it is a great follow-up and is better than many probably expected. My favorite songs are “Restored” “Lay Down My Pride” and “This Man.” My Grade: 4

Day of Fire, Day of Fire
I had only heard one song from this band before I bought this CD. I wasn’t sure if I would like the sound, knowing it was a bit harder rock than my usual choices. I’m glad I bought it though, because it is a good CD. It’s not one I could play over and over because I often have music on while I’m at work or writing my Sunday School lessons and it’s a bit too loud and heavy for constant listens while working. I have a feeling it’s my new favorite driving-in-the-car CD, though. My Grade: 3

Hear Us Say Jesus, Seven Places
Lonely for the Last Time, Seven Places
I’ve only listened to these one time each, so I don’t want to give it a score yet. I liked them both, but I need to listen to them a bit more before I decide a grade. I did like the lead singers voice, and the lyrics are great. I’ll report on this one later this month.

Clean, Shane and Shane
This is one I had high expectations for and was eagerly anticipating some new tunes from one of my favorites in Christian Music. It seems that CD’s released by my favorites in 2004 were destined to disappoint. While my grade for this one is decent, I loved “Psalms” and “Carry Away” so much that I was sad to give this one such a low score. It just didn’t seem to have the heart and emotion behind it that the other two did. Maybe I’ll like it more as I listen to it. For now, My Grade: 3

Today I purchased Scott Krippayne’s “Gentle Revolution” and can’t wait to listen to it. I am currently loading it onto my iPod as I type this. He is one of my favorite all-time Christian Music Artists. I have every CD and listen to them all frequently. While I love his music it’s the lyrics that really speak to me. It seems that whatever I’m going through in my life he seems to write about on his newest CD. Each new release has something that speaks to me right away, and many of these songs have been such an encouragement to me through the years. In honor of my new purchase, I’m going to list the Scott Krippayne albums I have along with my favorite songs and give them a grade as well. If you are new to this artist, I encourage you to get one of his CD’s and try it out.

Wild Imagination, 1995
My Favorite Songs: Hope Has a Way, The Main Thing, Sometime’s He Calms the Storm, I Will Love
My Grade: 4

More, 1997
My Favorite Songs: More, Way Back Home, No More Pretending, You Changed the World
My Grade: 4

Bright Star, Blue Sky, 1999
My Favorite Songs: Bright Star Blue Sky, I Wanna Sing, You Have Been Good, Cross of Christ, Every Single Tear, The Coffee Song (of course!)
My Grade: 5

All of Me, 2001
My Favorite Songs: Deeper Still, All of Me; My Everything, I’m Not Cool, The Source, The Best is Yet To Come
My Grade: 5

It Goes Like This, 2003
My Favorite Songs: You Are Still God, The Least I Can Do, Live to Worship, I Commend My Soul, Leave Your Eyes Behind
My Grade: 4

At this time in my life, there are two songs listed above that I’m listening to on a daily basis. One of them is encouraging me because I am struggling with some things in my life and I wonder if God is really running things in this world sometimes. I know in my head He does, but I have to remind myself of this fact many times when it seems that problems come with no end in sight. “You Are Still God” is my way of reminding me that He is the ruler of all, even when it appears otherwise.

You Are Still God, Scott Krippayne (Album: It Goes Like This)

I’ve prayed but still don’t have answers
At least none I’m able to see
I’ve tried to rest in not knowing
But not knowing’s a hard place to be
But as I return to Your pages
The words breathe new life to my soul
I see You at work through the ages
And know that You’re still in control

You are still God
You have created the land and the sea
May we applaud
And sing to the wonder of Your majesty
The wind will still blow
We won’t always know
Why seasons of life are so hard
But You are still God

Help me have faith in the knowledge
That You’re greater than what we go through
And when I reside in the valleys
Help me keep trusting in You
The how and the when You are moving
Were not meant for me to decide
Again and again You are proving
You’re there at just the right time

You are still God
You have created the land and the sea
May we applaud
And sing to the wonder of Your majesty
The wind will still blow
We won’t always know
Why seasons of life are so hard
But You are still God

Just typing those words makes me want to cry! The other favorite Scott Krippayne song I’m listening to these days is courtesy of my mother, who called me when I feeling a bit down and told me to listen to “Bright Star, Blue Sky” to remind myself of everything God is. This will be playing on my iPod alot this week, I’m sure.

Bright Star, Blue Sky, Scott Krippayne (Album: Bright Star, Blue Sky)

You are the wisdom when I can’t find answers on my own
You are the chisel when I let my heart turn into stone
Every moment You’re the one I depend upon

You are the sanctuary when my soul’s in need of peace
You are the hunger when the world lays treasures at my feet
You’re the portion where all my strength comes from

A light on the horizon, a diamond in the dark

Bright star blue sky, my hope day and night
My Lord my life, bright star blue sky

You are the haven where my deepest secrets are confessed
You are the friend who loves me at my worst and at my best
And it’s amazing how well you know me

At home up in the heavens and right here in my heart

Bright star blue sky, my hope day and night
My Lord my life, bright star blue sky

A mercy with the dawn of each new day
A fire that burns when all else fades away

So now I’m off to bed, to fall asleep listening to my newest Scott Krippayne CD - Gentle Revolution. I’ll let you know what I think in a day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter