Friday, January 14, 2005

What's New With Me?

I’m back! After more than a week of not blogging, I’m eager to catch up. I was away last weekend and have spent the week catching up from being away and from being sick. I’m finally feeling more like myself and have had a great week getting odds and ends done at home. I’m starting to feel like I have things back under control. Of course that feeling won’t last long…

I’m at my favorite coffee shop today - the Pour House. I love this place. The atmosphere is warm and happy, the music is great, the coffee is amazing and the soup is homemade. I’m not eating soup today, though, as it has mushrooms in it. How anyone can eat those things is beyond me. They feel like chewing rubber bands.

I’m enjoying my caramel coffee and working on my Sunday School lesson. This Sunday starts my new class. I’m looking forward to it, but I am not as prepared yet as I usually am. I’m hoping to get some serious work done today so I can get the first lesson done and the next few mapped out and organized.

This winter Sunday School class is on Prayer. I will be using several books about prayer to compile the study, but most of the class will revolve around the book “Praying the Names of God” by Ann Spangler. It’s a really good book and I am enjoying how she shows the names of God as ways to relate to Him in prayer. It’s opening my eyes to more of God’s character. I just hope I can effectively convey that in class.

I will also be having a prayer time where each table will pray together. I always give a few extras, so we will also be praying for someone from class each week at home as well as keep a log of prayer requests and answers. In addition, I will be doing occasional handouts featuring reviews of books on prayer, types of prayer, prayer helps and motivation and even stories of others who’ve had amazing prayers answered. Overall, it should be an enjoyable and educational class. I think it’s also important as we’ve spent all of last year reading the Bible. I think we need to more on to more of a dialog with God instead of just a one-sided conversation of Bible reading.

I am also finally starting my personal Bible study today. I have been reading my Bible every night in the Psalms, but I want to study the gospels this year in detail. I just received the last thing I needed to get started so I will be digging into that starting today. I hope to blog some of what I’m learning along the way.

I had a birthday this week. I’m now 35 years old. I don’t feel that old, and I don’t think I look that old. I probably don’t even act that old! But regardless, it’s true just the same. Birthdays aren’t all that exciting once you get past the fun milestones of 16, 18, and 21. I did have a good birthday, though.

I had two different birthday cakes, one that wasn’t really a cake but had cool candles on it and one that was a cake but no candles. I got lots of cards, many of them handmade from my stamping buddies. Mary bought me Season Two of Monk on DVD and my brother and sister-in-law gave me a gift certificate to Amazon. I plan on buying Season Two of Gilmore Girls since I bought my mom Season One for her birthday. (Also this week)

I got several books and some money as well. I am really trying to read more this year, and read more fiction. Last year I did so much research and reading for the Read Through the Bible Class, that I read very little just for fun. I’ve really missed it.

I pooled my birthday and Christmas money and bought myself an IPOD. Whoo-hoo! I really wanted one for several reasons and was happy to finally make the plunge. I am very happy with it so far. In fact, I’m amazed at how cool it is. I listened to it all night last night at work and didn’t hear the same song twice. Right now I have about 500 songs on it, but I have a good bit more to add. I will be able to add every single song I own that I would want to listen to and still have lots of space left for new tunes. I grow more in love with it the more I use it.

So I’m supposed to be journaling about people this month. I will be focusing on journaling this year in my newsletters for Flourish and am giving a topic each month. In addition, I will break the topic down each week into smaller topics in our weekly newsletter. So this week the people topic is parents. I will be thinking on that and journaling about my parents in the next day or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter